Friday, March 5, 2010

Got to see baby Curti again!

Baby Curti #2 is doing wonderful!  I am 13 weeks and 3 days pregnant with a lot of time left for this baby to grow and develop!  :)  On Wednesday Mike and I met with the genetic counselor.  We were a little bit nervous but as we suspected the only risk factor we have for a chromosomal disorder is my age.  Yep my friends, at 35 we are considered Advanced Maternal Age.  This is that magic age where the risk of a chromosomal disorder out weigh the risk of an Amnio - statistically speaking.  At age 35, with age being my only factor, we have a 1 in 200 chance of having a baby with a chromosomal disorder.  Pretty good odds, especially coupled with prayer!  She talked about out options and we chose the middle of the road option which is screening.  Nothing invasive or harmful to the baby.  Yes, it may cause a little worry but it may also put us at ease or prepare us.  One thing I did not know is that with some of the chromosomal issues comes a heart issue and if your baby has it, you must deliver at a special hospital for the baby.  I want to be prepared just in case.  In my heart, in my gut, I feel this is a healthy little one and we will be OK.  A good friend of mine who is also 35/Advanced Maternal Age had a screening done called Nuchal Translucency test that our genetic counselor never mentioned.  So, I asked her about it.  Turns out it is a first trimester test that looks at and measures the fluid in the back of the baby's neck before 14 weeks.  This can help determine chromosomal disorders as well.  Our hospital is in the learning process for this test and the Dr.'s needed to log hours of practice!  Since I was only 13 + 2 it was an option for us.  So...to aid in learning we said yes!  OK, OK, I really wanted that ultrasound!!!  And to know our baby is healthy!  We sceduled for the next day before my other OB apt!  On Thursday we went in and had an ultrasound!  It was so fun!  Little one was healthy and stubborn!  Kicking around and sucking his/her thumb!  We got to just watch him/her for about 40 minutes!  And to top off that fun, the Dr. said all looked great!  Then off to see the high risk Dr. for the gestational diabetes.  It was a good visit.  Babies HR was 160 bpm.  I had lost a pound.  All looked good except my morning fasting sugars so...on medicine I go.  Not insulin yet.  Just a low dose pill at night that does not cross the placenta.  Morning blood sugar today was perfect!  So, that is the update on baby Curti!  We are thrilled and can not wait on the gender ultrasound!  About 6 more weeks!  We will keep you updated!  These are not the best pictures but they are precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment